Tuesday 20 March 2012




                                                ARE WE FULFILLING THE CHINESE CURSE?
     Ancient Chinese folklore has attributed the curse MAY YOU LIVE IN INTERESTING TIMES  to fictional story teller Kai Lung. The above statement is not bad but legend has it that, it is one of the three Chinese curses. I enjoin you to read this piece with an open mind otherwise, the points I am trying to make won’t get home.
       Any one in touch with reality will understand what I Am talking about when we say interesting times.  How many things do I talk about? I promise to touch as much as possible but ground rules; if I touch anything that offends your religious view, please forgive me.
       Some years ago, in Nigeria we all heard the case of the cannibal Clifford Orji who ate human beings in Lagos Nigeria.  Then I was too young to understand what cannibalism was all about. But as I grew older, I realized that it not only morally wrong, it was illegal as well.
      If that doesn’t strike you as a big deal, then let us get on to the next one. Some years ago, we were awakened to the realization that people now see those of the same sex as being sexually attractive. If I may ask, is that not sodomy? But free will overrides ethics and I think that is quite unfortunate. What pained me was that Africans who are known to be very cultured and principled began to accept it. It got so bad that it was a subject worth discussing at the national assembly. Can you imagine? In a country were so many things are wrong, our law makers ignored pressing issues and chose to talk about some profane imported sexual orientation. It can be likened to chasing rats while your house is on fire. Thank God that reason prevailed and the bill was not passed amidst several foreign threats.
       I was on the internet some days ago when I ran across an article on a girl suffering from a disorder called Pica. Wow!!!! Check it up in dictionary before you proceed. Done that? Then let’s go ahead. She had reportedly eaten about 4000 sponges and a thousand bar soaps. It is not a spell; we are told. The psychiatrist simply diagnosed it as a disorder. Sound funny yeah?  Because that is not your sister.
        Back to sexual orientations.  Zoophilia-that is sexual desire for animals has been legalized in the following American states. Alaska, Arizona, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Hawaii, Iowa, Kentucky. I am not exactly sure if this has been ‘’labeled’’ a disorder but am sure it is some form of malady. How can a person ever find an animal attractive? Sincerely, to say it beats my imagination is to say the least.
         Now the issue currently causing debate on the web is the case of the late Whitney Houston’s daughter Bobbi Kristina Brown who is set to marry her adopted brother Nick Gordon.  Really, who does that? That seems like incest to me but then again, in our ever changing world, impossible is nothing. Pleas and threats from their grandmother has fallen on deaf ears as they claim to be so much in love to quit at this stage.  I will keep my fingers crossed to see how this particular tale ends.
         I really wish to add much more issues but in order not to bore you, I felt this would suffice for now.  There are many things I left untouched. Issues like people practicing to become real vampires (I watched them on Tyra Banks’ show), Beyonce hiring six nannies to take care of ONE child and changing diaper every hour, Lady gaga wearing raw meat to an event where she hugged people and  Mrs. Arumah Oteh a public officer in Nigeria using eight hundred thousand to feed for a day, the list is endless and I could go on and on but most importantly, let me ask you; are we fulfilling the Chinese curse or is freewill  merely overriding reason?

No comments:

Post a Comment